In her book Eat, Pray, Love, Melissa Gilbert prescribes a balanced life which may be incomplete without one thing: hydration. This article explains the importance of drinking water for good health and suggests the best supplements to promote hydration. Make sure to "Drink Up" for a healthier and more balanced lifestyle!
The Importance of Hydration
Is sufficient hydration truly necessary for a healthy lifestyle? Even without food, the most we can go without water is 8 to 21 days. But provided that we are blending with our fluids, we can survive up to two months! Consequently, restoring our fluids is essential not just to progress but survival as well. For example, water pursues a significant role in metabolism as it helps in breaking down fat cells. This technique lets us access the energy from fats and carbs from whatever we eat when exercising or fasting. In addition, water manages body temperature by enabling sweating which helps avoid heatstrokes. These are only a few of its life-enhancing aspects.
- Oxygen from this source helps brain cells work better, leading to improved mental performance and mood.
- Detoxifying the body prevents chemicals from disrupting its processes.
- The body is able to effectively absorb and distribute nutrients when this process is enabled.
- Keeping a healthy blood pressure helps protect your heart.
- By lubricating muscles and joints, it enables people to participate in physical activities.
- Applying the product helps hydrate the hydro-lipidic mantle, a thin oily layer on the skin that helps defend against harmful microbes.
Sodium Hydration as a Solution to Dehydration When Drinking Water Is Insufficient.
Dehydration can occur for many reasons, such as climate, diet, lifestyle and specific medications like diuretics. Nevertheless, the leading cause is usually not drinking sufficient amounts of water. Even a minimal decrease in body water at 1.5% can lead to dehydration and electrolyte loss.
Blood (and bodily fluids) contain electrically charged molecules called electrolytes, like calcium, potassium, sodium, and magnesium. These electrolytes allow for chemical reactions to occur such as keeping water and pH levels in balance. If electrolyte counts go down, this can lead to mineral inadequacy which could result in dehydration. The consequences of this may be dire - including fainting episodes, kidney breakdown, stroke and even demise.
Drinking eight 8-oz glasses of water daily may not be enough to keep your electrolytes balanced. That's where specialized hydration supplements can help.
Best Supplements for Hydration
Sodium is an important electrolyte that can carry an electrical charge when dissolved in bodily fluids such as blood. Electrolytes are required by the body in large amounts. (For more info about electrolytes, see Overview of Electrolytes.)
The majority of sodium in our bodies is situated in the blood and fluids around cells. It helps to regulate our body's fluids, as well as influencing muscle and nerve activities.
The body gains sodium from food and drinks, primarily excreting it through sweat and urine. The kidneys regulate the amount of sodium that is expelled in urine in order to maintain a consistent level of salt in the body. Whenever the balance between sodium absorption and loss is not met, the total amount of sodium in the body will be changed. This also affects the concentration of sodium within the blood.
- Too low (hyponatremia)
- Too high (hypernatremia)
Controlling blood volume
The sodium in the body influences blood volume and cellular fluidness. To maintain balance, sensors in the heart, vessels, and kidneys detect high levels of either and send signals to the kidneys to secrete sodium, resulting in regularized blood volume.
If blood volume or sodium concentration falls below a certain point, sensors stimulate mechanisms to restore the levels back to normal. These processes are as follows:
- The kidneys stimulate the adrenal glands to produce aldosterone, which promotes the retention of sodium and excretion of potassium. As a result, urine production decreases, leading to an increase in blood volume.
- The pituitary gland releases vasopressin, also referred to as antidiuretic hormone, and this results in the kidneys conserving water.
Here are an excellent hydration supplement balanced with the exact amount of electrolytes:
- Hydro Power Endurance Fuel
Each Jar contains 20 servings at a cost of $49.99.
- The sodium levels are balanced -- not too much, not too little.
- This product is non-GMO, gluten-free, suitable for vegans
- Containing vitamins, this endurance fuel powder is also full of hydrating electrolytes like magnesium and potassium.
- This powder contains powerful minerals like magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
- This product contains sodium and chloride salt which helps to keep the body hydrated.
- Vitamin C boosts the immune system, helps make collagen, and guards against free radicals.
- Essential vitamins such as B3, B6, and B12 are found in it, which are important for energy production and maintaining strong muscles and nerves, energy metabolism, cell growth, and healthy brain function.
- This product features 72 trace marine minerals which promote the health of joints, muscles, and bones.